Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Beyond Good Intentions.

Confession: I can't count the number of times I  have heeded dutifully to my Quiet Time, sat in
my favorite corner on my bed with my journal and
my Bible…and then spent the time I had set aside for the Lord in allowing my mind to wander, hopping from passage to passage, getting up and doing another task, checking my phone, and basically being wildly distracted. I sat down esteeming a diligent spiritual life. I even had all the right resources, but not the ability to carry it out, basically because it's one thing to intend and another to actually do.
It's all too easy to start out with good intentions only to later falter and lose the initial excitement.

Having the right tools and the right desire, does not equate to actions.
I'm embarrassed by the number of times I've said either in words or thoughts, "I will pray about that matter," and done literally nothing about it.
I want to put real actions behind my good intentions; to put works behind my faith; to turn my enthusiasm into something more than mere words.
For example, I deeply esteem the discipline of prayer, but if I don't actually pray, my esteem is worthless.

Thankfully, there is an ever-present help for this shortfall of mine: Jesus Christ can turn the wanting in my Spirit into action-pumped enthusiasm within no time.
I recognize that I'm just but flesh and beating myself up (because I can be really good at this) won't help me one bit.
The moment I just utter a sincere, "Lord, I need your help on this. I can't seem to have my mind on doing your work but my heart is genuinely firmly found. I desire to do this, please go before me and guide me," I have faith He will come through.

But again it's not enough to revere myself and go before Him to seek an extra "push" only to keep my distractors around and not set apart good time for God. Throughout my life, I have come to find that God is really faithful in playing His part hence I need to play mine to, lest I get nowhere.
I've also learnt to ignore the bait of the enemy to
make an excuse because “sin lies at the door and its desire is for you, but you should rule over it” (Gen.4:7).

This post is all in first-person narrative form and you probably feel like the "I's" should be "You's" because like me, you might probably be finding it hard to put diligent obedience in carrying out your Kingdom Assignment or Quiet Time. Or probably you begin so strongly only for the enthusiasm to fizzle out within no time. Don't give in to the struggle. The secret is not in trusting in your willpower but in the one who gives all strength, Jesus Christ.

Love love! 💕

Laura.



Karwirwa Laura #GodGurl

8 comments:

  1. Reading this on the corner of my bed with my diary and my Bible. You just gave me a reason not to be distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a good one! I can't make it by myself! My strength is in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so amaizing laura. you such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said and true, divinely inspired.

    ReplyDelete